It is not just that other life forms
are becoming scarce or extinct,
but our experience of and with them is, too.
The results are deep and disturbing.
We not only learn less about these earth others,
but disaffection sets in,
and hence we care less for their well-being.
We do not care about what we do know.
~Sallie McFague, from Super, Natural Christians
United Earth Ministries (UEM) is a committee of the Board of Justice, Outreach and Service dedicated to promoting care of God’s creation through spiritual, individual and collective practices.
Grown out of a long tradition at UCCH of environmental theology and practice, and consistent with the emphasis on environmental and earth justice at the UCC national level, UEM has worked hard to bring care of God’s creation into the center of worship, mission and stewardship at United Church of Chapel Hill. Review our Creation Covenant.
Here is just a sampling of some of UEM’s past projects as we have worked to fulfill our responsibility to care for God’s creation:
- Four-year cycle of Earth, Air, Water and Fire series at the Adult Forum
- Short courses such as Creation Spirituality during Wednesdays Together
- Workshop on Transition Congregations and Artists’ Workshop on Joining Heaven and Earth
- Faith and Food – a five-week Adult Forum Study. There is nothing more basic to life than food. We literally are what we eat. The story of our food, how it is grown, by whom, where, under what circumstances, how it travels from farm to fork, and the transformations it undergoes has profound implications for our health, our spirits and our environment. Developing a “right relationship” with our food puts us in a “right relationship” with God, with our own bodies, with our community and fellow humans, and with the larger creation. We can live our faith with every bite of food we take, as we mindfully thank our Creator, care for our health, support each other, and protect the environment. Click HERE to read Dr. Shea’s 10 Principles of Earth Friendly, Healthy Eating.
- Participation in the National Preach in on Climate Change.
- UCCH members testifying before the NC Utilities Commission.
- UCCH hosts the NC Citizen’s Hearing on EPA Carbon Rules. Reverend Richard Edens opens with THESE inspirational remarks.
- Hosting and supporting environmental organizations such as Sustainable Harvest International and NC Interfaith Power & Light.
- Hosting events for environmental sustainability leaders like Joanna Macy, Matthew Fox and Barbara Marx Hubbard.
Please join us!