United Church of Chapel Hill, UCC, in Chapel Hill, NC, a progressive Protestant parish of 900 members, seeks a part-time Director of Handbells. The candidate will be an accomplished conductor and teacher with experience of handbell repertoire and technique, who is eager to work with ringers with a range of ability and skill levels. This person will be responsible for the handbell program at UCCH, which currently has two handbell choirs, a beginning/intermediate choir and an advanced choir. The Director of Handbells will hold rehearsals one evening per week as needed from September through May and will direct handbell music in Sunday worship 3 to 4 times per semester.
- Select pieces of appropriate style, length and skill level, based on their function within worship.
- Implement creative use of bells in various parts of the service occasionally, as called for.
- Direct weekly rehearsals from September through May of handbell ensembles, teaching handbell technique, repertoire and musicianship.
- Recruit and welcome new ringers, including children and youth, and provide necessary instruction in music reading and technique to ensure they become effective members.
- Work with individuals as needed to provide tuition to improve their skill set.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPECTATIONS
- An accomplished conductor with knowledge and experience of handbell repertoire.
- A flexible musician who is comfortable in a wide range of musical styles.
- Demonstrated ability to work with volunteers.
- Ability to work collaboratively with the pastors and other music staff
HOURS AND COMPENSATION
The Director of Handbells will hold weekly rehearsals as needed for the handbell program from September through May, and will lead handbell music in two worship service three to four Sundays per semester. The Director will receive payment per semester, and will be fully responsible for all dates during that period. The anticipated start date is September 1, 2019.
Submit résumé and cover letter to Jenny Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
United Church of Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity employer and consideration will be given to all candidates regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, medical condition or disability, or genetic information.